In 1858 Henry Clark purchased a section of what is now part of the Boral quarry. He and his fiancée Annie Martin named the property Stonyfell after the stony slopes in England called ‘fells'. Here he planted the original Stonyfell vineyard.
The principal part of the vineyard was planted in 1860, with 20 acres of Black Portugal grapes, and two and a half acres of muscatels. When Joseph Crompton arrived from London, a friendship through family ties developed and later a business partnership to conduct the business of winegrowers and winemakers at Stonyfell. Joseph Crompton bought out the estate of Clark in 1873 and continued to trade as Clark and Crompton until 1880.
In 1884 there were numerous business failures and Crompton could not escape this decline in economic activity. In 1888 the Bank of Adelaide transferred the Stonyfell property to Henry Dunstan whom had been primarily involved in the quarry operations. 1892 saw Henry Martin appointed as the manager of H.Dunstan & Co., Wine Growers, Stonyfell Vineyards.
Henry Martin had been a founding member of the Wine Growers association of South Australia, and became president in 1890 and again in 1906. He was prominent in the drawing up and passing of the Phylloxera Act 1899. In 1902, Ronald H Martin (youngest son of Henry Martin) became partner at Stonyfell after winning the coveted gold medal as dux of Roseworthy Agricultural College.
Henry Martin died in 1936 at the age of 89. His son Ronald continued on the tradition at Stonyfell of producing quality wine of the highest standard.
In 2001 Amphora Wine Group, formerly Montego Estate Wines, was established at the historic Stonyfell Winery. The company has been supplying wholesale wine to the domestic and international markets since its inception. In mid 2007 it was decided to re-open the historic Cellar Door to the general public. In 2008 we celebrate the 150th Anniversary of the production of quality wine at the Stonyfell Winery.